"Daddy-Daughter Day" was missing something...

Hello, Blogosphere! Before you begin reading this post and wondering, "Why has Melissa's writing lost its lovely flow and eloquence?", you should know that Melissa isn't writing this post at all. No, Melissa is preoccupied gallivanting around the Old Port of Portland with a bachelorette and her posse (likely making questionable decisions). So instead, you are all stuck with me, Caleb. My apologies.

Today was a Daddy-Daughter Day with Little Miss Rosalie, while her mommy finally took a well deserved girls night. Without a doubt, I have looked forward to this day for weeks, but apparently there were concerns from other parties. A few days ago, Melissa asked if I would "be alright" taking care of Rosie all alone. Later on, my mother offered to drive five hours South to help me out. It would seem that they have more trust in Eva, our cat. In my defense, I would argue that I am MORE than qualified to take care of a three-and-a-half month old for 24 hours or less, even if you don't count the fact that I contributed somewhere between twenty-three forty-sevenths and twenty-four forty-sevenths of Rosie's genetic make-up. But I suppose I shouldn't speak to soon, as I haven't made it to morning yet.

I view Daddy-Daughter time as a time to educate Rosie about all the manly things to do in the world. So, naturally, I took her to Freeport dress shopping and then on a scenic walk by the river in Yarmouth. Real manly. But it was along the walk that her and I did some thinking...

I have been amazed at how well our little girl has developed in her young life. Her strength and coordination have developed quicker than we could have ever imagined. She has rapidly become attentive to her surroundings. Most excitingly, her little social smile is here to stay (and it melts every heart in the room). Certainly, we are still early on in Rosie's life, and of course, there is variability to how babies with Down Syndrome progress and develop. Some of it is chance. But all that said, it is no fluke that Rosie has done so well in her young life: the secret to it all is Melissa.

What Melissa does daily for Rosalie is nothing short of amazing. Every day is full of tummy-time, art cards, play gyms, books, books, and more books. She absorbs everything the physical therapist and occupational therapist suggest and immediately incorporates the workouts into Rosie's routine. She brings Rosie on walks and for "swims" in the pool. She talks and jokes with Rosie, even when Rosie doesn't respond. She reads and reads and reads about every aspect of Down Syndrome. She updates you all with Rosie's latest mischief. And what's even more remarkable is that she manages to do this all while being a wonderful wife and my best friend.

So when the physical therapist says Rosie is ahead of the curve, when family notices how strong Rosie is, and when friends thank us for updates on the blog - I can't help but think that it's all thanks to Melissa. It's thanks to her unwavering, unconditional love for Little Miss Rosalie. It's thanks to her high expectations, her intelligence, and her patience. All I can ask is that next time you consider just how wonderful little Rosalie is, consider complimenting the woman behind it all.

Because, let's be honest, this Daddy and Daughter would be nothing without that special Mommy.

Thanks for everything, baby!







Comments

Popular Posts