World Down Syndrome Day

Tomorrow, March 21st, is World Down Syndrome Day.  It falls on March 21 every year because that date represents 3 copies of the 21st chromosome (get it--3/21?).

I wanted to share with you all how several family friends in Caribou will be celebrating the day!  Two of my mother-in-law's dear friends, Beth and Mary, decided that they were going to spread awareness about Down syndrome in Caribou by wearing mismatched socks on 3/21/13.  The goal is to have your socks be so bright and mismatched that people ask you about them!  Then, you can use that opportunity to tell them about why the day is so special!  I was moved to tears when I heard about how these ladies are coming together to support our family and specifically, our little Rosalie.  How heart warming!

I hope many of you can join us tomorrow by wearing mismatched socks and telling everyone who points it out about World Down Syndrome Day.  Tell them about the loved one in your life with Down syndrome.  We have come a long way when it comes to equality and inclusion for these individuals, but we still have a long way to go!  Help us (and more importantly, help Rosie) by spreading the word!

Below, you will see pictures of the mismatched socks Beth and Mary gave out to their friends!




Comments

  1. Dear Caleb and Melissa,
    What a great idea. I did not read it in time to adorn myself with mismatched socks, but I will put on a pair for tomorrow.
    Ken Atcheson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love this idea!!! I didn't get your email in time either, but I will be wearing them today!

    xoxo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Caleb and Melissa,
    I put on the mismatched socks for my teacher workshop on Friday and wore them to a meeting of the EAEA and had several questions. I answered each of them with regards to your blog. May you all have a joyous Easter!!
    Ken Atcheson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts